Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Christmas Pie

Wait! What? Yes Christmas is long gone and Valentines Day is just around the corner, but, I'm going to mention Christmas Pie today.  This is my Sister-In-Law Jen:


She is a saint or an angel and you'll get to learn more about her later, because she truly is a fascinating person. She came over the other day with a pie.  Not just any pie.....a Christmas Pie.  It is a labor of love.  The recipe is like 2 pages long and takes a while to make.  I don't even know how to describe Christmas Pie.  I usually just say "It's like eating sweet air!". I don't know anyone outside of our family who has ever had it before, or even heard of it. Maybe it's called something else, but we just call it Christmas Pie.  Apparently, our husbands' grandmother used to make it every Christmas. By the time we came on the scene, our Mother-In-Law was making it and we loved it too.  I asked for the recipe and my Mother-In-Law just chuckled, got up from her chair and came back from the kitchen with what appeared to be a 2 page manifesto!  I've made it a few times and it turned out wonderful, but it is the most difficult recipe I've ever made and I cook a lot!  Then when Jen married my Brother-in-Law and asked for the recipe, we were happy to give it to her! She made it and it was wonderful.  Then she sat down and re-wrote the recipe to make it simpler to follow and I had to laugh......it starts out, "Get a babysitter!!!!"
We used to have it at Christmas only, but then Jen started making it for my husband, Sam for his birthday in October...way better than any birthday cake (bonus for me, because he shares!).  Then we started a pumpkin patch business that everyone in the family helps with and nobody has time to make pie in October.  But Jen, bless her heart, still makes my husband a Christmas Pie sometime in the year and she appeared at our door with it this week.  It's gone now.  Never lasts more than a couple of days.
Maybe I'll share the recipe when it gets closer to Christmas, but I'll have to ask my Mother-In-Law first, in case it's a secret family recipe.  Here is a picture of it.....and don't be thinkin it's like Coconut Pie or Meringue Pie, because it's nothing  like either, but there is a little coconut on the top.
  Thank you Jen!  We love you and we are glad that YOU are the Christmas Pie maker in this family now!

No comments:

Post a Comment