Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pearl Heart Wall Plaque



At the beginning of the month, I went poking around down in Arkansas at some 2nd hand stores looking for shelving for my craft room.  I found this hideous beauty:
I know, it's awful, but I was thinking I could put a lot of stuff on those three tiered shelves.  I didn't love the heart cut-outs, so I figured I could take them off and hey, with Valentines Day coming up, maybe I could do something with them. Of course, they were glued AND nailed on.  I got out my chisel and Dremel. I Love my Dremel.

Now I have 3 projects to do.  They're pretty rough, have a lot of stain on them and I really didn't want to spend a lot of time prepping them because well, they were just kind of ugly. I poured some deglosser on a rag and wiped them down and called it good.   Here's what I did with the first one:

Pretty cute huh?  First, I drilled a couple of holes to hang it.  Then I painted it red. After looking at that irregular heart shape in the not quite center for a while, I got out some tacky glue and put pearl beads all around it. Then I tried to stencil it.  I'm awful at stencilling.  I know it takes patience and I'm really going to practice.  Really I am.  So I totally screwed up the stencilling and tried to wipe it off.  Fail!  The red paint came off with it.  I had to repaint some of the red.  Ugh!  Man, I really wanted that stencil on there.  Finally, I traced the stencil design on with a pencil and dug out an old paint pen that I had and just painted it.  Not great...but better than it was.  Finally, I stuck a bow on the bottom, strung a silk cord through the top holes and there ya go!  You could fasten a picture on the back I suppose...but I like it without.
Tomorrow, I'll show you the other 2....or maybe just one, depending on how productive I am today.  (I'm having the in-laws over for dinner so some cooking and cleaning must happen sometime between now and 6 p.m.!)
Linking up:
Glitter Glue and Paint

Visit thecsiproject.com
 

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and Following me (I'll make a tutorial for the felt rose, since you asked- stay tuned)

    Following you back,
    Smiles, Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way, way too cute!

    Thanks so much for taking the time to share at Pin'Inspiration Thursday. Hope to see you on Saturday to help "Beat the Winter Blues". Have an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! I like the pearls!!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so cute! The pearls are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation and the pearls are the perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great transformation!! I love the added pearls and I think your handpainted stencil looks great!!

    Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great up-cycle!! It was a great idea to put the pearls on! Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to see beyond what's already there! Thanks so much for sharing at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create! <3

    By the way, you have word verification on. You may find you get more interaction by turning it off. To find out how, you can visit this post: http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2011/12/bloggy-tips-101.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is way cute! Visiting via The Creative Spark

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pearl heart wall hanging is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is cute! I like how you masked the off-center heart by putting on the pearls. Genius!

    I haven't tried stenciling yet, but probably would have similar patience problems as well...

    I'm stopping by from the newbie party and am your newest follower. I'd love for you to stop by my blog and check out some of my project and (if you'd like) follow me too!

    Have a great week,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Danni! This is darling! I love the pearls... what a great idea! I'm your newest fan. Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your heart cut-out hanging looks beautiful! I like it!
    Hugs, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. My, you are a busy girl! I like how that turned out. Thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is so sweet! What a great look and so clever too. Stopping by from 52 Mantels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute! I'd love for you to share it at my new party; Mix it up Monday:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/mix-it-up-monday.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing the Valentine shelf with Make It Monday. I am quite sure it is probably something else now.

    ReplyDelete