Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Stained Glass Vase

Today I am trading blogs with my friend Melissa who is guest posting here today.  So after you've met Melissa and checked out this very cool project here, hop on over to see what I'm sharing on her blog today at Serendipity and Spice.  If you're not already following Melissa, you'll want to....she's awesome and she has great projects and recipes to share!

Hi there!  I'm Melissa from Serendipity and Spice. 

 I am soooooooo excited to be here today guest posting on Silo Hill Farm!  Danni has become one of my closest blogging friends and I'm so honored that she's allowing me to hang out with you guys today.  I'm a new mom to a wonderful little boy who just turned 5 months old.  At Serendipity and Spice you can find me gushing about him, sharing recipes, coming up with cute craft ideas, and sharing new blogger tips. So I hope you'll stop by sometime and say Hi!

Now, on to the tutorial.  Danni is always creating such adorable pieces, so I decided to share a vase that I recently redid with a tip on staining glass.

I know you've all seen these BORING plain glass vases at thrift stores.  I found this one for .80 at a thrift store near my house.... what a great deal.... right?!  


Well, I decided it needed a little color.  With Spring here I'm feeling like everything in my house is just drab... so I'm working on finding inventive ways to add pops of color.  This way is just sooooooo super easy and ridiculously CHEAP!

So I know you're wondering what the heck I just poured in that vase?!
Simple, I poured a whole bunch of Modge Podge (or white glue mixed with a little water.... yep- that's what Modge Podge is made of!) and several drops of food coloring.

WHAT!  Food coloring?  Yep, good old fashioned food coloring!  But, it has to be the liquid food coloring not this new gel stuff.  I chose blue and added about 7-8 drops.  The more drops you add the deeper your color gets.

Then add a couple of droplets of water so you can easily swirl around the mixture and evenly coat the whole vase on the inside.  Just shake shake shake!


Now, let you're vase dry for several hours.  I revisited it every hour or so and just shaked things up again to keep recoating the inside.  Like the rim of the vase? I just let the mixture run up to the rim but I didn't worry about making it coat all of the glass which gave it a nice decorative touch.

Then, I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out some white vinyl and attached it to the outside of the vase.
I decided to do our last name and large initial.  The key to this look is to make the initial 5 times the size of the last name and to use 2 distinctly different fonts.

Yes, you see that correctly- my last name is LLADO.  The double L's make a J sound in Spanish.

As you can see the paint starts out opaque but then turns transparent once it dries.  So, just add some flowers cut from the garden and....



Ta-Da!
Thanks so much for letting me hang out with you!
If you enjoyed this tutorial I would love it if you came by Serendipity and Spice sometime to say Hi!

Or you can subscribe via Facebook, Twitter, RSS feed, or by email.










6 comments:

  1. Thanks Melissa! Awesome post!! I know that shelf full of plain vases I have are about to look better! (I want a Silhouette machine!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am impressed! Definitely going to try this technique! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guest post. Loving this idea a that blue!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danni, I stopped by to thank you for your visit to my blog, I really appreciate it! I have just joined your blog. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Pinning this. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea! I love ModPodge and use it for everything, but I didn't know about this. I have so many of those darn vases hanging around, I am off to try this myself. Thanks for sharing with us here today Melissa, I will be over to your site next. Danni , thanks for letting us get to know Melissa!

    ReplyDelete