Sunday, July 14, 2013

SNOW JAR CHRISTMAS TREE - CHRISTMAS IN JULY



Since it's Christmas in July in the blog world, I'm sharing this project that I did for my friend Natalie at NorthShore Days.
Natalie was my first blog friend and her encouragement, emails and kind comments kept me going in those first scary days of puttin myself out there in the blog world.  She has a heart as big as Christmas itself!  If you are lucky enough to have Natalie as a friend, you really don't need anything else for Christmas!  If you have a friend like Natalie though, you might want to make them something like this for Christmas.......
 Every time I see the beachy blue colors (and I'm seeing them a lot this holiday season) I'm reminded of my good friend Natalie and her love of the beach in her home of New Zealand.  
This project started out way back last summer when I bought an old outdoor brass porch light at Habitat for Humanity's Re-Store.  Those things are awesome and have a ton of cool parts.  For this project, I used the top cover and spray painted it silver.
 Then I gathered a few supplies and went to work.
 What you'll need:
Glass jar with a lid, bottle brush tree, wire cutters, artificial snow, beads, some kind of base (I used the lamp part mentioned above) and glue. (I forgot to get the glue in the picture....oops.)
The first thing I did, was trim my little tree to fit inside the bottle.  I had to use some wire cutters to cut the stem down and then some scissors to trim and shape the branches at the bottom.
Using a toothpick and some glue, I put the beads on the tree.
When it was dry, I stood it up and glued the base to the inside of the jar lid.
I put a little artificial snow in the jar.  (It doesn't take much!) 
 Then I carefully slid the tree into the jar, screwed the lid on and tapped it until most of the snow fell to the bottom.  I decided to tie a little blue ribbon on it and then just set it on the base that I had spray painted.  
If you don't have a lamp base that you just happened to have spray painted last summer laying around, it looks pretty cute without one too!
 Whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year, I wish you the best!  I also want to remind you to reach out in the blog world and make some friends.  If you're lucky like I was...you may find someone who becomes a life-long friend who is dear to you even outside of blogland.  I love ya Nat!
Linking up to:

    
Linking up:

25 comments:

  1. This would fit into my Christmas decor beautifully Danni - I'm mostly white and blue!!!!!!!!
    It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas - everywhere you go
    LMHO
    Beauitful job!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danni, you are certainly doing your part in getting everyone in the Christmas in July spirit! How cute is this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely stealing this idea. I tried to do one of the snow globes with liquid last year that was a disaster. This seems more sensible for what I want. Once again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, Danni! I have never made a snow globe, so maybe I will this year, following your tutorial ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue and white! Just gorgeous!! I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty!! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  7. So clever Danni! I love that is a substantial piece. Love that little tree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post and project -the blue and white are perfect for a beachy NZ xmas...and you are so right, having Natalie as a friend is a gift in itself. You are a gift too, along with a few other dear blog friends. Loved reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shiver, shiver! A little snow in July with a bottle brush tree is right up my alley. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool that Nat was one of your first blogging friends and that you all were a hemisphere apart! Your Christmas tree in a jar is so precious and you make the project look so easy (as always!) How pretty this would look on a holiday table whether there is snow on the ground or not. Pinning for a Christmas project this year ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty, pretty, pretty and I'm pinning this to do this Christmas! I bet Nat counts herself just as lucky to have you for a friend. This actually got me thinking about Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so adorable! You're definitely getting me thinking of the holidays! How lovely that you've found such a special friend! Happy Holidays!!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Christmas tree crafts...especially those that are cute and simple! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could just take a scissors to the shrubs in the yard, how much simpler that would be. And then put a giant globe on them, because that would look cool like yours.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is sooooo cute! Have you always been able to come up with stuff like this? I'm so envious...

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cutest little beachy tree. Love your blue and white scheme on this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to do this for this Christmas with Elizabeth. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE IT! The way you added the beads was perfect :) And your colors are divine.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cute! Great inspiration for those little gifts we all need for friends during the Holidays! ♥
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how you repurposed a thrift store find into a beautiful Christmas display!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still love this project. It was a wonder Christmas gift getting your post. And my dearest Danni - I am so so lucky to have you as a friend - I love you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a beautiful project! I love that Nat is our unifying force.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are so cute! This is a great way to use up some of my old jars I've been saving!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this post and what a creative way to decorate this Christmas.
    I'd love to try that tree inside the jar, we have empty clear jars here and I think that will be perfect for this craft.
    Cheers! Marilyn @ Christmas decorating ideas

    ReplyDelete